Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Are you a Millennial?

By: Jessica Teaford 


There is nothing worse than sitting down after a long day to dinner with your boyfriend just to have it interrupted by a telemarketer calling to ask if you would like to buy something or give money to some cause.  The only person I actually will answer the phone for is my mother.  I am not sure how I get on these calling lists but I assure them that if I don’t recognize the number rarely do I answer my phone because most of my important information comes through my email.  I had never heard the term Millennial before but the author not only describes my opinion of telemarketing exactly I am glad to know that other people do not like to talk on the phone just like me.       

One of the main complaints I think arts organizations have is that they have a hard time attracting young people to their venue.  I agree that there is nothing else that will turn me off more than someone calling me from an organization that I have been to once to ask if I would like to donate money to their organization.  I am a poor college student who likes to please people so it makes me very uncomfortable to say no to someone who is asking me for something.  And once I have said no I can no longer show my face at your establishment thus never supporting you again by buying a ticket.  But if you email me about it and no one knows I have said no I can go back no problem.  I’m sure it makes the lives of the development department much harder but it should be there job to know who is getting what message from their organization and they should also be sure that they are approaching people with methods that are most likely to succeed with that particular patron.  

No comments: