Sunday, March 28, 2010

Virtual Dance

Virtual Dance
Posted by Debra Kramer 3-27-2010
All those dance teachers who want to keep up with the latest moves no longer have to run off to take class in New York City. Dance classes are offered online. You can order hip hop, jazz, lyrical and/or tap for $4.99 a class. The class comes to you via e-mail with unlimited access for 3 days. For years I would take the train up to New York City, stay in a hotel and push as many classes as my body would allow into one day. I had to write my notes down and remember what they meant. This task is not too easy after the fourth class of the day. I started bringing a video camera and would video whatever I remembered of the conversations. Teachers were possessive of the dance combinations, so I had to secretly video myself back at the hotel.
o Virtual dance is cost and time effective, but it cannot replace what dancers give to each other. Dancers teach each other to dance, not only through imitation, but through physical connection. A 90 degree classroom full of 50 sweating dancers in New York City has an energy that cannot be captured in the virtual world. More importantly, the friends I made in the dressing room while trying to recall the combinations are still my friends over 20 years later! After all is said, I am happy to add the very affordable virtual world to my repertoire. Dance teachers - check it out!

www.virtualdanceclass.com

No comments: