Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Using Constant Contact and It's limitations

I've been using Constant Contact over the past few years, however I have to wonder what else is out there. It is a great software, but the limitations are great. I spent twenty minutes the other week trying to move a picture to exact location I wanted it in, yet because of these limitations I finally gave up and accepted defeat.

The question comes to mind of is it better to use software, such as Publisher (a simple to use word product), or Adobe products to create e-newsletters or e-blasts versus all-inclusive sites such as Constant Contact.

The question becomes two-fold and depends on what your main goal is.

1. Do you want to send this to a huge list of people with one click?
2. Do you want the images and content to be top notch?
3. Do you want to "pay" for the service?
4. Is tracking important?

The questions are endless, but what it comes down to is the simple fact that each arts group is unique and what each can do/can't do varies. I personally like being able to track each e-blast and the small inconvenience of limited design is worth the ease of sending/proofing etc.

On that note - there is an abundance of things to search. I did a simple google search and found the following:
E-Newsletter Pro: www.enewsletterpro.com/
My Newsletter Builder: http://www.mynewsletterbuilder.com/
I-Contact: http://www.icontact.com/
Vista Print: - Yes Even Vista Print has taken a bite out of "e-marketing"

http://www.vistaprint.com/email-marketing.aspx?mk=Email+Newsletter+Program&ad=broad&GP=3%2f23%2f2010+11%3a17%3a16+AM

This just goes to show there is a lot out there to choose from, as Arts Managers it up to us to find the right software for our organization!

Lesley Irminger

No comments: