Saturday, April 17, 2010

Using Twitter and Social Media for Artists

With the twitter buzz all around us, it's hard to tell what is what and why twitter is such the new rage. But it is what it is and twitter seems to be a way to help promote your art.

I read on one blog that an artist said this about social networking online.

" I use social media to share my work with collectors, fans, and all those anonymous people who find me through Google searches. I post to Facebook regularly, update my blog each week, and send out a monthly e-newsletter to close to 400 subscribers. Each communication asks me to reveal myself in different ways and, while I’m always truthful, I do edit myself. I don’t share details about my family life. I talk about what I’m creating and feedback I’ve received, but not how I spend my time every day or my worries. I don’t talk about my fears. I still have secrets. I have a private life I don’t expose to the world."

This came from the Art of Business. If anyone is in Canada this could be a cool site to check out.

Twitter/Art + Social Media, that’s what.

From April 1- May 1, 2010, the Diane Farris Gallery will be presenting an exhibition called Twitter/Art + Social Media, an exhibition of work by artists who use social media for the inspiration, production or presentation of their work. How cool is this??

From the Diane Farris blog:

Since 1984, Diane Farris Gallery has been known for finding and establishing new talent. In the year 2010, the gallery recognizes the strong role played by social media in the production and/or promotion of artwork. We are particularly interested in how social media is affecting the practice of artists who use it to share feedback on their artwork, to promote their artwork, to organize shows or to produce artwork collaboratively.

Social media may include websites, blogging, instant messenger, rss feeds, social bookmarking, Facebook, Blogger, Flickr, MySpace, deviantART, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, Skype and podcasts. Artwork may include painting, drawing, photography, printmaking and three-dimensional work as well as computer-based art, video and performance formats.

- Lesley

2 comments:

Lili said...

Hi, Lesley! I am Lili Vieira de Carvalho, director of Diane Farris Gallery and curator of Twitter/Art+Social Media. I didn't know about an IT class for Arts Managers - that sounds fabulous! There is more information about the show at the blog: www.dianefariisgaller.com/blog Thanks for posting and cheers from Vancouver.

Autitania said...

Lili,

The class is part of our "Masters of Arts" in Arts Management at George Mason University.

I actually just had a fellow student do a project on the art of social networking, I'll have to remind her of your gallery. Sounds like a really cool exhibit - wish they gave us time off from school for "art trips." best of luck - Lesley